Action is one of the largest, fastest growing non-food discount retailers in Europe. It currently has stores in The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxemburg, Austria and Poland. In 2017, Action opened their fifth distribution center near Toulouse and the opening of the next distribution centers won’t be long. The rapid international expansion of Action brings many challenges and opportunities for the new Strategy and Business Development Manager.
Action’s formula is crystal clear: low pricing and a fast-evolving range of products. Action knows how to score points on ‘price’ and ‘surprise’ and does so time and time again. That means customers love to come back – often several times a week. You’ll find premium brands such as Coca-Cola, Dove, Philips, Haribo and Bic on its shelves, but also private label brands such as Subliem, Blinq, Spectrum and Werckmann. The store is famous for its assortment in the categories decoration, personal care, toys and cleaning products, but it’s also on the rise in many other categories such as multimedia. This is a strategy that pays off because Action is growing exponentially across four axes:
- The baskets of loyal customers get fuller every time;
- Action taps into new audiences;
- There are more stores opening their doors within current markets;
- And new markets are entered as well.
About the Strategy & Business Development Manager
The Strategy & Business Development Manager (SBDM) ensures that key projects are implemented on time and the targeted results are delivered. The purpose is clear: to contribute to the overall growth and increased efficiency of the company. In addition, this person will coordinate the annual strategic planning cycle and perform analyses and write reports regarding market developments, competition and strategic priorities.
The SBDM reports to the Head of Business Development & Treasury, Marjolein Slappendel. The SBDM will be the linking pin between the Business Development department and the different functional areas in the organization as well as provide meaningful support to the CEO and/or CFO, as needed. The SBDM will be able to make an impact from the get-go with the following responsibilities:
- Strategy – The SBDM coordinates the annual strategic planning cycle and is actively involved in strategy development. Providing insights into the defined strategies and budgets, determining the potential consequences and reporting about it. In addition, the SBDM will monitor and check progress on strategic priorities within the company.
- Advisory – The SBDM will perform market research, competitive tracking and analyses. The goal is to gather insights and identify opportunities and new business concepts. This is vital information which the SBDM uses to prepare reports and presentations.
- Leadership Support – The SBDM will provide general support (performing analyses, preparing presentations) to the Head of Business Development & Treasury, CEO and/or CFO on an as-needed basis.
- Key Project Management – As the Project Manager for multidisciplinary and complex project teams, the SBDM will drive decision making and create plans of action (in conjunction with the business) for larger strategic initiatives and changes. This person will also follow the implementation of action plans, discuss progress amongst key players and report about it. Ultimately, the SBDM ensures key projects are implemented and targeted results are delivered on time, in order to contribute to the overall growth and efficiency of the company.
Its rapid expansion and high growth rate make Action a successful organization. This will continue to bring a host of new challenges and opportunities in terms of processes, projects and professionalization.
“You’ll be able to shape the future of Action and your own role within this fast-paced environment. A proactive attitude is key. For example, you’ll actively identify the wishes and needs of the internal customer and translate topics from concept into action. You’re driven to achieve tangible results.” – Marjolein Slappendel, Head of Business Development & Treasury.
- Well-organized, able to manage deadlines, budgets and other agreements
- Pragmatic and flexible
- Academic degree
- Minimum 6 years in Strategy Consulting, Private Equity or project positions within Retail
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Excellent PowerPoint skills
Action works with Top of Minds to fill this vacancy. Contact Imke Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Strategy & Business Development Manager
Action is one of the largest, fastest growing non-food discount retailers in Europe. It currently has stores in The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxemburg, Austria and Poland. In 2017, Action opened their fifth distribution center near Toulou …Lees meer