The Board of Trustees of Smart Freight Centre seeks an Executive Director to provide strategic and operational leadership of the organization. This is an opportunity to be part of a passionate and diverse team and work on an important cause to make the global freight sector more sustainable.
About Smart Freight Centre
Smart Freight Centre (SFC) was established in 2013 as a global non-profit organization dedicated to an efficient and zero-emissions freight sector – contributing to Paris Climate Agreement targets and Sustainable Development Goals. Their goal is that 100+ multinationals reduce at least 30% of their logistics emissions by 2030 compared to 2015 and reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
SFC advises companies on how to develop and implement their company-specific Sustainable Logistics Roadmap using the four ‘Smart Freight Leadership’ steps: report, set targets, reduce, and collaborate. They also advocate for supportive policy and programs and raise awareness to accelerate sector-wide action.
Their main achievement is the formation of the Global Logistics Emissions Council (GLEC) with whom they developed the GLEC Framework in 2016 and updated it in 2019 – the universal method for logistics emissions calculation and reporting, and now the basis for an ISO standard.
They have since developed more products (guidelines, training, assessments, technical advice) and set up new projects with leading companies and other GLEC partners that address specific company barriers. Now that SFC is firmly established, its founder and Executive Director has indicated that she is ready to hand over to a successor who can lead the organization in the scaling phase. In coming years, SFC’s focus will be to further professionalize the organization in order to:
- Solidify its unique position in the market and with funders linked to the GLEC Framework and the Sustainable Logistics Roadmap
- Increase the number of delivery and strategic partners through which to reach and support more companies and multiply their impact
- Continue on its path to financial sustainability through a mixed funding model comprising foundation grants, project contributions by the funder, partners and companies, and fees from companies and delivery partners for SFC products.
The role: Executive Director
The Executive Director reports to an international 6-person Board of Trustees. They will head an organization headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and with a team of about 15 staff based in Europe, China, and the US.
The Executive Director’s role is to:
- Articulate a vision for the logistics sector and set priorities to realize the mission of SFC
- Create SFC’s Business Plan until 2024 and lead SFC’s team in its implementation and evaluation
- Solicit guidance from the Board and SFC Advisory Council of leading experts from academic institutions, international organizations and business
- Build and manage relations with multinationals, GLEC/strategic partners, and funders
- Represent the organization externally for advocacy, awareness-raising, fundraising, and SFC positioning
- Identify global developments and industry needs to propose new project topics and secure partners and funders.