The right light can brighten people’s moods, boost growth rate of crops, increase retail sales – just to name a few examples. The possibilities are endless, and the rate of innovation is snowballing. Philips Lighting is one of the leading companies driving the global revolution of the lighting industry. Since the beginning of 2016, they are operating as a stand-alone entity. To build and shape the future of this new company during this dynamic time, Philips Lighting is expanding its Strategy team.
About Philips Lighting
Philips Lighting is a global leader in lighting products, systems and services. They’re well known for tackling exciting consumer product segments – just think of Hue connected lights. But their professional range is equally impressive. For example, they recently had a break through influencing shopper behavior in supermarket sales with colored lighting. A two-month pilot with the German supermarket Globus showed that the use of pastel colored uplights led to a 15% increase in traffic and 6% increase in sales of goods from a promotional area.
“We continuously invest in new innovations and are considered a leader in leveraging the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform homes, building and urban spaces. We are building out our capabilities while creating impactful partnerships with leading global players such as Apple, Cisco, Google, Bosch, SAP.”- Steve Rouatt, Head of Strategy & Market Intelligence
About the Strategy team
The Strategy team consists of alumni from top-tier consulting firms such as Bain, BCG and McKinsey. The team has a good track record of transitioning people into the business and is considered a talent pool for future Philips Lighting leaders. The team always works with a mandate from the Lighting Leadership Team, and usually works hand-in-hand with them. They are welcoming a new Director Strategy & Planning to help Philips Lighting make the next shift in its business model.
About the vacancy: Director Strategy & Planning
This role is an opportunity to join a leading high-tech company during these dynamic times and work closely with the Leadership Team (LT). Directors are actively involved in the decision-making process of the LT and have a big influence on strategy, innovation and growth. The Director is responsible for:
- Initiating and driving strategic projects across Philips Lighting businesses;
- Contributing to the running and improvement of the department, while managing working teams and actively coaching Strategy team members;
- Providing advice and guidance to Philips Lighting senior leadership;
- Managing senior stakeholders and facilitating strategic discussions in the broader teams in order to drive the future direction of the businesses and functions.
This means bringing together the right balance of problem solving rigor, people skills and pragmatism to turn thinking into decisions and actions. It’s also an opportunity to work in a variety of business environment and geographies.
- Able to work in a variety of business environments
- Strong knowledge of consumer, digital/internet or high-tech industries
- Excellent analytics and quantitative skills
- Willing to travel (25%)
- At least 5 years’ strategy consulting experience (McKinsey/BCG/Bain)
- An MBA from a top tier business school
- International business experience, preferrably in an emerging market