The Global HR Operations Director at Aegon is the strategic mastermind and driving force behind making HR a data-driven discipline.
The evolving insurance industry
Today, the global financial services industry faces new challenges like never before. It’s a highly fertile environment for FinTech startups with a disruptive character. To keep up, major global players within the insurance space are reinventing themselves and their portfolios. From new technology like wearable devices that can prevent health issues and sensors that detect potential home fires before they ignite to robo-advisors that support people with private investments. In addition, there are new regulatory changes like Solvency II, which came into effect in January 2016. All of these developments make the insurance industry a challenging and satisfying environment for strategic professionals who thrive on innovation.
Aegon is one of the world’s largest leading providers of life insurance, pensions and asset management. With Dutch roots that date back to 1844, its ambition is to be a trusted partner for financial solutions at every stage of life. Today, they operate in more than 20 countries and their 29,000 employees help 26 million customers take responsibility for their financial futures.
Aegon’s mission is helping people take responsibility for their financial future with the motto “Transform Tomorrow”, Aegon is proactively developing to keep up with the shifting needs of the customer, today and tomorrow. It has launched numerous online financial solutions, including Kroodle and Knab in the Netherlands, Active Transamerica in the US and Simply Life and Secure Retirement Income in the UK.
There’s a world of opportunities. HR Data will help us unlock them. – Carla Mahieu, Global Head of HR
Vacancy: Global HR Operations Director
The Global HR Operations Director at Aegon is the driving force behind making HR a data-driven discipline. This starts with developing and maintaining the long-term HR strategy. Next up is establishing a high-performing global team with a healthy balance between top-down direction and bottom-up initiatives. And moving forward, the Global HR Operations Director will be managing all related operational aspects, such as refining and maintaining the blueprint Target Operating Model and rightsizing the HR Operations function.
HR Operations Center of Excellence
Global HR consists of multiple Centers of Excellence (CoE), including Talent Management and HR Operations. The purpose of the HR Operations CoE is to deliver an HR environment that enables employees and managers to deliver on the company’s strategic priorities, fill in people management and achieve personal growth. In practical terms, this means HR Operations is responsible for service and administration of standardized HR processes, providing HR technology, maintaining HR data and creating insights. Operational excellence, digital and data are key to unlock Aegon’s full potential.
Making HR data-driven
Now that Workday has been implemented, rolled out and embedded, it’s time to start leveraging this HR platform to its full potential. There are vast amounts of data available, including leave, absence, benefits, compensation, performance reviews and ratings, development plans, goals, talent calibration and payroll data. Analytics can provide insight into people and help with a variety of HR topics, from reducing leaves of absence and recruitment lead times to enhancing talent development, collaboration and performance.
- Define and maintain the strategic multi-year HR plan, including HR Operations
- Define transformational and sustainable HR strategy
Data & Analytics
- Optimize utilization of Workday
- Support excellence of data quality and accessibility
- Provide insights (through Reporting & Analytics) to support the business
- Ensure rational systems landscape
- Establish a high-performing HR Operations CoE with a healthy balance between top-down direction and bottom-up initiatives
- Ensure contributors strike the right balance between global standards and local exceptions
- Encourage Reporting Units to rely on each other to create momentum and divide the workload
- Manage 3 direct reports (indirectly: 25)
- Lead 10 Operations Leads (dotted line)
- Refine and maintain blueprint Target Operating Model for HR Operations
- Rightsize the HR Operations function
- Establish global/standardized processes & data model
- Install shared services where they add value (through Ops Leads)
- Manage access to and user experience of Workday (through 8 HR Operations Leads)
- University degree
- Minimum 10 years’ working experience
- Experience in operations environment
- Knowledge of (HR) technologies (preferably Workday)
- Intrinsic belief in and experience with data and analytics
- Consulting skills
- Project Management skills
- Able to move between Operational as well as Strategic Level
- Stakeholder management in matrix organization
- Shape and drive strategy/vision
- Build high performing teams
- Motivate and lead by example
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder management skills
- Easily vary between communication and management styles