The Corporate Strategy department of ING provides consulting services to all business units across all functional lines of the bank. For members of the team, the exposure to a wide range of topics and to top management creates ample opportunity for career progression within the organization.
Corporate Strategy at ING
ING is a global financial institution with a strong European base and rising presence in the rest of the world. The purpose of the bank is to empower people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. With over 51,000 dedicated employees in over 40 countries, ING offers retail and commercial banking services to more than 34 million customers. For more information, go to Careers at ING.
The Corporate Strategy department consists of a Management Team (MT) of 7 and 12 Project Leaders and Consultants, most of them with experience at consultancies such as BCG, McKinsey and Bain. They support the definition of the strategic vision of the Bank, facilitate the implementation of the Think Forward strategy and alignment of all related initiatives, lead high-impact strategic projects and track performance. The department reports directly into Global CEO Ralph Hamers.
Consultants can join the Corporate Strategy department at intermediate level. Senior Consultants work in multidisciplinary project teams of internal clients and stakeholders such as Innovation, Risk, Finance or regional organizations and other consultants. The Senior Consultant is responsible for research, analyzing relevant input, developing deep insights and composing detailed, actionable solutions. Communication and the ability to work effectively with all levels in the organization – including senior management – is key.
The department focusses on high-impact initiatives in the domains of Corporate & Business Unit Strategy (43% of all projects), Innovation (36%), Customer & Marketing Strategy (15%), and Operations & IT (6%). For example, typical projects would be:
- Market Entry Strategy – supporting the Management Board in assessing the opportunity of entering specific countries
- Country Review – supporting several country CEOs on building their strategy and tactics to increase performance
- Client Segmentation – using predictive analytics to create client segmentation models based on client needs and behaviors
- Distribution Strategy – supporting TMB management in designing a branch strategy for the ING Retail Bank in Thailand
- SME Lending – supporting the launch of an innovative SME lending product, defining the value proposition and market strategy
Landing spot for consultants
The team has a strong, positive culture, which is why the Corporate Strategy department consistently scores in the top 10% of departments for workplace satisfaction across the organization. In this department, job satisfaction often comes from the high impact of projects and recommendations. ING encourages a healthy work/life balance so that members of the team have the energy and drive to go the extra mile for clients when needed.
Because all members of the Corporate Strategy department receive extensive support to ensure fast-track career development, the department has an excellent track record in both core strategic projects (NPS of ~90%) as well as in placing alumni in senior positions throughout the business.
- Results-driven and keen to drive innovation
- Strong communication skills
- Team player
- Thrives in a demanding international work environment
- Willing to travel (mostly within the EU)
- A strong academic track record
- At least 3 years’ experience at a top-tier consulting firm
- MSc and/or MBA
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excel and statistics packages like SPSS or Minitab
- Excellent English communication skills
De wereld verandert steeds sneller en vraagt om een flexibele, onderscheidende en concurrerende bank. Innovatie is dan ook een belangrijk onderwerp voor ING. De doelstelling van ING is: mensen in staat stellen om zowel privé als zakelijk steeds voorop te blijven lopen.Lees meer