Tradus is an Amsterdam-based start-up, connecting buyers and sellers of pre-owned equipment and used commercial vehicles such as trucks, vans, trailers, cranes and tractors. Live since early 2017, the platform’s number of active sellers and daily visitors is growing exponentially. The venture is part of the OLX Group, a global network of classifieds portals and one of Naspers’ main investments. This enables Tradus to pursue an aggressive growth strategy. As part of that strategy, they are currently hiring a Business Intelligence Manager who will create the infrastructure for said growth.
The global trade volume of used equipment is over $ 400 billion per year and the segment is growing in double digits. Martin Scheepbouwer (CEO Classifieds, Naspers) secured this opportunity in September 2016 by starting Tradus, a B2B platform connecting buyers and sellers. The start-up can rely on significant financial backing from Naspers as well as the expertise of OLX.
The secret to OLX’ success lies in their data-driven approach. It’s all about understanding the business, market and customers from the vast amount of data that an online platform receives, processes and generates. To do so, business intelligence (BI) is key. The same goes for the online trading of heavy machinery and commercial vehicles. However, the BI dashboards Tradus has in place at present are far from sufficient to support their ambitious growth plans. Dobo Radichkov is OLX’s subject matter expert when it comes to BI and Customer Lifecycle Management for new ventures. He’s currently overseeing the development of the technical data stack for Tradus.
“We can rely on OLX’ best practices and their treasure trove of state-of-the-art tools, but we’re going to have to build our own data warehouse. An opportunity to learn a lot while also having huge responsibilities – it’s the best of both worlds, really.” – Dobo Radichkov, Global BI & CLM Director New Ventures OLX
Business Intelligence Manager
Using the OLX big data playbook as guidance, the BI Manager will start with the integration and ingestion of raw data sources such as transactional platform data and clickstream data. They will direct the development of the Tradus data warehouse and own the implementation of all required operational data models. Once solid BI reporting is in place, Tradus can expand to applications for marketing automation, customer segmentation and content personalization. The BI Manager will own Tradus’ end-to-end data ecosystem.
Day-to-day development will take place in Amazon Redshift and the broader AWS ecosystem. Needless to say, the BI Manager will need to be an absolute SQL and data modeling rock star. At a later stage, they will also be responsible for building and owning the Tradus real-time data stack, which will be based on AWS services like Kinesis, Lambda and ElastiCache. Other tools include Matillion ETL and Periscope Data.
The BI Manager will report to the Head of Analytics. Over time, the BI Manager will be responsible for growing and scaling the Tradus data capability and setting up a team of data engineers.
- BSc in Software Engineering / Computer Science or related technical field from a leading university
- At least 5 years of experience transforming sizable datasets into world-class BI solutions, preferably in an e-commerce environment
- Highly advanced SQL skills (AWS Redshift preferred)
- One or more programming languages (Python preferred)
- Comfortable using a wide range of technologies such as Git, Linux, AWS, Docker, NoSQL databases, APIs, Periscope/ Data visualization, etc.
- Serverless data stack experience (Lambda, Kinesis, API gateway) is good to have
- An unquenchable thirst to learn
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to think creatively
- Highly-driven and self-motivated
- Comfortable with some ambiguity – when things move fast, priorities will change
- Ability to communicate insights and findings to a non-technical audience